Sometime reflection tells us more than real self/entity. Yesterday, my cousin sister requested me to teach Geography. She is in 6th Standard. I accepted the proposal as I had interest in geography. But since, I remained unconnected with this subject for a very long period, so I thought of revising it.
The first chapter of this book is, “The earth in the Solar System”. You all must have read it during your schooling. I read that and finished the chapter within half an hour. After reading that chapter, a strange thought came and that thought was related to my existence in this universe. Before going in detail, let me summarize few important observations which is elementary in nature, but worth knowing it.
- We live on planet Earth, It’s radius is approx 6,371 Km.
- Radius of Sun is 695,700 km.
- The distance between the Sun and the Earth is 150 million square Km, and the distance between the Sun and the farthest planet from it, Neptune is 4496 million Km.
- Our earth is a part of Solar System, with Sun at center, along with eight other planets, which revolves around the sun.
- Our Solar System is part of a Galaxy, known as Milky Way Galaxy.
- In our Galaxy, there are Billions and Billions of Stars (Sun is also a star) and each will have their own solar system. (One Billion – 100, 00, 00, 000).
- Our Galaxy is a part of Universe and it is believed that there are Millions and Millions of Galaxies exists.
Yes, you may wonder that what’s the big deal about these pieces of information? We all have read these during our schooling. Isn’t it?
But Friends, my objective of writing this piece was to highlight the fact about our position with respect to the Universe. If we contemplate on the above facts, then we will get to know that how infinitesimal and microscopic we are. We are not even the dot of a pen, when this dot is made on the Earth sized canvas.
Yet we posses so much of ego, hanker for self importance, try to cheat and deceit others, play dirty game to gain some favor, hurt others sentiments and so much and so forth. Somewhere I have read that “When we will know how Great and Infinite the nature is, then we will be able to see how miniature we are”. When we will consider, and it is a fact, that we are insignificant then we can strive for becoming humble and simple. In traditional Indian philosophy, becoming humble is considered as great quality and a virtue that all should strive for. Humbleness brings happiness.
Thank you for reading the post. 🙂
You must be logged in to post a comment.